Former world champion in three categories, Ukrainian lightweight Vasily Lomachenko (16-2, 11 KOs) gave
interview to his friend, the French actor Said Tagmagui.
In the conversation, Vasily, among other things, spoke about his boxing record, gave advice to novice boxers and commented on the words of his promoter Bob Arum from Top Rank Promotions.
There are many people in the world who love you. And who consider you the best fighter in the world, in P4P. I am always asked what advice would you give to young people who are starting to box? What advice would you give to young fighters of the new generation?
– If you want to start boxing, then it depends on what you want. If you want to start boxing for your legacy, then you have to live that legacy. Then you need to forget about your other life. You have to live boxing and the dream.
– You need to eat, sleep, get up in the morning with boxing.
– Yes Yes.
— Yes, definitely. But if we’re talking about people who just love boxing and train, then just love boxing, just use it. It is difficult to explain in English what I want to say. I want to tell children the following. There are many children all over the world who want to become champions, big champions, Olympic champions, professional boxers. I want to say the following – if you love something very much, then you need to give the same love to your boxing.
– Dedicate yourself.
– Dedicate yourself to boxing. And, of course, you need to train not only in boxing. You need to be a well-rounded athlete.
- “It was just for the legacy.” Vasily Lomachenko – about his first steps in boxing and two Olympics
– Bob Arum – one of the best promoters in history has often said that you are by far the best fighter he has signed. He even respected Muhammad Ali with all due respect. What do you think when you hear this from the legendary promoter?
“You have to improve every time. When I heard it for the first time, of course, it was very serious for me. Because it’s a very big comparison. Compliment. So, you need to improve.
Because the barrier is very high.
– Yes. And now only your record can speak.
– It’s good when people talk, but the record remains in history.
But not numbers. Record. Who was your opponent, in how many weight classes did you fight and how many belts did you have – that’s your record.
“This is your legacy. Here is what we are talking about.