Absolute lightweight champion (up to 61.2 kg) American Devin Haney (28-0, 15 KOs) gave
interview for a local boxing blog.
In a conversation with the presenter, Devin spoke about the future rematch against the former absolute champion from Australia George Kambosos (20-1, 10 KOs), answered the question about the controversial position of the ex-unified champion from Ukraine Vasily Lomachenko (16-2, 10 KOs) in the ranking P4P and commented on the third fight between the absolute champion of the second middleweight (up to 76.2 kg) Canelo Alvarez (57-2-2, 39 KOs) from Mexico (57-2-2, 39 KOs) and the unified champion of the middle division (up to 72.6 kg) from Kazakhstan Gennady Golovkin (42-1-1, 37 KOs).
“Obviously you’ve been to Australia before. Ahead of you is the first revenge in your career. What is your mentality before preparing for this fight?
The psychology hasn’t changed. We’re still focusing, we’re still going to his house like I’m not a champion. But I’m still an underdog. Even though I’ve never really been an underdog, this psychology is still in play and I still have to take back what’s mine. I have to go there and show that there is no point in this revenge.
– Do you think that after this fight you will return to the top 10 pound-for-pound? Both ESPN and The Ring magazine somehow screwed you over. What are your thoughts on this?
— I believe that I will break into the top 10 pound-for-pound, where I already should be. I think it will happen after this fight, as soon as I show how versatile I am as a fighter. I beat him the first time, but I can beat him in a different way the second time, which will show how many tools I have and how many skills I have.
– I have to ask the following – Lomachenko is on the pound-for-pound list of The Ring magazine. You and editor-in-chief Doug Fisher had a bit of an argument on Twitter. Does it bother you that you see Lomachenko in the top 10 even if he doesn’t own any belts and he’s not even the top lightweight in the Top Rank rankings?
– Yes. It’s not just about Lomachenko. I do not want to involve Lomachenko here, but this is important. A fighter who is not even number one in his weight class is on their P4P list. It somehow doesn’t add up. But I think in the end it’s all politics. P4P is just an opinion. This is all made up and not real. How can you judge someone to be on the list or not. It’s about what people prefer.
- Mikey Garcia Predicts Lomachenko vs Haney
– It’s subjective.
Yes, it’s just an opinion. It is what it is.
– You have a fight ahead of you on October 16th. Lomachenko will make his comeback 2 weeks after that, on October 29th. If all goes well, it looks like Bob Arum is planning to bring the winners of the two fights together in the spring. Will Devin Haney make a lightweight limit next year?
– I dont know. Let’s see. It’s possible. Very likely. You have to see how I feel after this fight. I take one fight at a time. Once I win, we’ll see what happens next. But I can’t look behind George Kambosos. He is a proven fighter. A guy like Teofimo underestimated him – went out and lost. I took this into account, and it seems to me that in some way he underestimated me in our fight, and I beat him. So I can’t go there and focus on the next fight.
Canelo vs Golovkin is coming up. Canelo after defeat. Many people believe that he is now vulnerable. How do you see this fight going?
It’s still a good fight because I just think Golovkin still has a lot of fuel in the tank. Even if he didn’t show it. I don’t think he had the right opponents to really show it. I think he will definitely level up his game against Canelo. It’s hard not to see Canelo as the favorite. It’s Canelo after all. I think Canelo will win, but the fight will be much closer than everyone thinks.
- “I would like to see Golovkin win, but…” Prediction of the ex-champion for the main fight of the week