The promoter of the former unified heavyweight champion (over 90.7 kg) from Britain Anthony Joshua (24-3, 22 KOs) Eddie Hearn (Matchroom) in and
interview commented to an American reporter on the status of the contract of the current holder of the three main titles, Ukrainian Oleksandr Usyk (20-0, 13 KOs).
At one time, Hearn acted as a co-promoter for the Ukrainian. In a conversation, the functionary expressed his position on the possible future of his career and further fights, taking into account the possible meeting of Joshua against the WBC title holder from Britain Tyson Fury (32-0-1, 23 KOs).
– What is the current status of Usyk’s contract and what are his prospects?
– At the moment he does not have a contract with anyone. Therefore, he sits and waits for the fight for the title of absolute champion in the Middle East, which, it seems to me, will take place next spring. I’m sure the Saudis want to do that fight in December when Fury is supposed to fight, but Usyk won’t be ready. This is another thing about Joshua. Tyson says, “How can you not be ready?” In fact, Joshua had an 11 month camp. Usyk had a tough camp with obvious problems in Ukraine and it was a tough fight for both Usyk and Joshua. So it’s not just about 8-9 weeks of preparation and the fight for the world title. They need time. Joshua will be ready by December, Usyk won’t. Therefore, I believe Usyk will just sit and wait for the fight for the absolute champion, which should take place, I’m sure, in the spring. And that could be Anthony Joshua vs Oleksandr Usyk again.
– So he is no longer bound by contractual obligations, will you offer him your contract?
“Listen, we have a great run with him. I don’t remember how many fights we did with him, 6-7 fights. We let him earn a huge amount of money, and he performed brilliantly. Still on the horizon is work with the Saudis if there is a fight for the title of absolute champion. Last time they owned the rights. If they do it again, it will be quite difficult to offer him the money that is already being offered to him. He’s in a good position. Alex Krasiuk, Egis Klimas – a good team around him. Therefore, I am sure that he will wait, rest with his family and see what happens next.
- Fury’s promoter explained the reason for the deadline for Joshua – all because of Usyk
– In terms of what will happen next. If there is a fight between Joshua and Fury in December, and Usyk is waiting, maybe he needs to fight. Just to be active. Who do you think could be his opponent?
– I dont know. I don’t think he will fight. I don’t see how he will fight every division contender for the next 5 years. He was already the undisputed cruiserweight champion and is now the unified heavyweight champion. If he fights for the title of the undisputed champion and wins, he will be the undisputed heavyweight champion. He’s not a youth. I’m speaking now as a fan since we haven’t had those conversations with him, but I don’t think he will fight much after the undisputed title fight if he wins. The problem is, once you make that kind of money, how do you go back to a small percentage of that money, going into the ring against mandatory contenders or young hungry fighters in volunteer defenses when you don’t need it? So I think he will sit and wait. It makes no sense for him to rush after this fight. I’m sure he’ll spend time with his family, see what happens to his homeland. I think he will wait.