The “temporary” WBO world champion in the heavyweight division (over 90.7 kg) Briton Joe Joyce (15-0, 14 KOs) gave
interview for Michelle Jo Phelps.
Last Saturday, Joyce knocked out former world champion from New Zealand Joseph Parker (30-3, 21 KOs), which surprised many skeptics. In a conversation, Joe spoke about his impressions after the fight, spoke about a possible fight with the unified division champion Ukrainian Oleksandr Usyk (20-0, 13 KOs), and also named the fighter who will be the biggest test for his chin.
“I observe the fact that you have absolutely nothing on your face. No scratches, no marks. How is this possible?
Yes, I’m good at my job. In addition to muscle pain, I have several bruises. So I was actually in that fight.
– You don’t look like that. Did you see what Joseph looked like after the fight?
“I even spoke to him today. He is fine. He is looking forward to returning to New Zealand, he wants to go back to the beach, sunbathe, eat mangoes.
- “Usyk, I’m coming for you!” Joe Joyce on victory over Parker and future fights
What was it like for you to go through such a war in the ring? What do you do to calm your body: take baths, get massages, what is your routine?
Yes, I get massages. Muscles still hurt. I just relax, rest, eat. By the way, thanks for the pizza after the fight, Michelle.
— I ordered about 15 pieces for everyone.
— It was great and nice, thank you.
“I didn’t feel so good the next morning, did you?”
— I felt pretty good. But when I finally went to bed, it was five or six in the morning. It was good: family, friends – everyone is celebrating, also a great hotel.
– After such a victory, everyone calls you. Did you see what Dillian Whyte said?
I didn’t see it, but I heard it. I am his fan.
“He basically wants to test your chin.
– Oh, that’s good, come on! I will fight him. This is a good fight. Let’s see what happens to Usyk, who holds the WBO title. If he doesn’t defend the belt with me and I get a full title, then we’ll see what happens to Fury. There are a lot of good names, but White is an interesting fight.
- Joyce doesn’t want to see the Fury-Charr fight, but thinks it will come out great
At the same time, Charr signed with Queensberry Promotions to fight either you or Tyson Fury or Daniel Dubois.
– It is interesting. Good fight. I just want to be in great fights. But I also want to take titles. Whoever was strategically advantageous and made financial sense – I’m for him.
Oleksandr Usyk said in an interview that he doesn’t mind fighting you, but it should happen after Tyson Fury. He says the only fight he wants is Tyson Fury. A fight with you can only happen if Tyson completely refuses such a fight next year. He is ready to fight him.
– Well, that’s a problem. Let’s see what happens. I’ll rest a bit, come back and see. I’m ready for any of the top 5 names. It’s an exciting time right now and I’m really looking forward to getting back in the ring after a break.
– Do you know when the WBO will insist on Usyk’s fight with his mandatory challenger?
— I’m sure it will be around March.
- Atlas sure Joyce would have knocked out Joshua
“So if he can’t fight Tyson in March/April, which I think he’s hoping for, then it looks like he’s going to have to make a decision.
– Yes. It looks like it. Either I fight him or he leaves the title vacant and I take the full title, which is nice.
Is there anyone in the division who will be the biggest test for your chin?
— Wilder. Without a doubt. Wilder has phenomenal power. He improves his technical ability with Malik Scott. Yes, it will be a risky fight. He is also very fast. But (coach Ismael) Salas will look at his last fights, work out a plan, and we will work on the technique and everything. But it will be dangerous to fight all these guys. They all have different complex attributes, but there is a way to overcome them. I have confidence in my team and my abilities to take me to the top of the division.
– Do you feel that you will enter the top 5?
Yes, I already did that with my performance against Parker. It was a great knockout. I’m happy with it, I’ve watched it several times.
“You should be proud of yourself. Obviously your journey has been long and arduous. It looked like no one recognized you as one of the top heavyweights, but here you are. As proof of this, everyone is now challenging you to a duel. If you can’t fight Usyk next, who do you feel will be next? Who is higher than others on your list?
“I would say Fury. But if he fights Fury, then I’ll see who’s the best name for me because I want great fights. I also want to win more belts and make money doing it. I’m ready, I’m at this level.