Co-promoter of the WBC heavyweight champion (over 101.6 kg) Briton Tyson Fury (33-0-1, 24 KOs) Bob Arum (Top Rank Promotions) gave
interview for the British media after Fury’s early victory over compatriot Derek Chisora (33-13, 23 KOs).
Arum commented on the last fight, spoke about the organization of the fight for the title of absolute division champion between Fury and the unified champion from Ukraine Alexander Usik (20-0, 13 KOs) and responded to the claims of the Croatian heavyweight Filip Hrgovic (15-0, 12 KOs).
Report from vRINGe: Tyson Fury and Martin Eden Syndrome
Bob, what are your thoughts on the fight?
“I just think Derek was very brave, held on, took a lot of really hard punches from Tyson that most heavyweights can’t take. And I think it was a good show. The fight was one sided but the show was good because Chisora was always trying to win.
“It looked like Tyson was in complete control of the fight and it looked like he could finish whenever he wanted to. I think you have to give credit to Chisora’s character for holding on for so long.
– Undoubtedly. People have short memories. I remember Chisora not so long ago gave Usyk a fight to the death. Chisora is a true top heavyweight.
– We saw how Oleksandr Usyk went up to the ring after the fight. What Tyson did was a show. He shouted various insults in his face, but Usyk was imperturbable.
Usyk is a true professional. He has excellent control of emotions, and never forget that Usyk is Ukrainian, and the Ukrainians have shown that they cannot be pushed around.
Tyson said this week that he was not particularly interested in fighting Usyk. After the fight, we found out that he really wants it. Is it in your best interest for Top Rank and Queensberry to work together to make sure you submit this undisputed title fight in February or March?
– Yes. We don’t have much of a problem. Personally, I am on very friendly terms with Usyk and his people. His manager also works with some of my top fighters like Lomachenko and Zhanibek. So I think we’ll put it all together before the New Year.
– There is some concern. We know that Filip Hrgovic has been declared a mandatory challenger by the IBF. Is there any concern that this may be an obstacle in organizing a duel for the title of absolute champion?
– No, because the WBA let the IBF know that now is not their turn. Now it’s the WBA’s turn with their mandatory challenger, which I think is Dubois or Joyce. And they give permission for the unification bout.
– Sauerland – Hrgovic’s promoter said that talks are underway to fight Usyk in Croatia. Do you believe it?
– Not. Sauerland is a nice person, but you can’t believe what he says.
– Thank you for your time. It’s always nice to see you on British shows. Do you have a final message for viewers?
– I think Usyk is next, and then there are a lot of great heavyweights around. No one fights like they do here in the UK. The arena is packed with people, they are having a great time. They appropriated the American song Sweet Caroline – and it became an anthem. Everyone is having a great time singing it. This is amazing entertainment for fans. I give credit to Queensberry, Frank and George Warren for putting on some of these great shows in the UK.