Tyson Fury finishes Dillian Whyte with brutal sixth-round uppercut knockout, teases ‘this might be’ final curtain


Tyson Fury captivated 94,000 fans in his home country on Saturday with a brutal sixth-round knockout to finish Dillian Whyte in what may be the final bout of his legendary career.

Fury was able to put on an impressive fight with Wembley Stadium full. He frustrated Whyte almost in every exchange, but never took a big shot throughout the entire night. In return, Fury was deadly with his jab before unleashing the uppercut that put Whyte down and out for good.

The stoppage came at 2:59 in the sixth round.

” We were touching him with the jab,” Fury stated when describing the final sequence. “I wanted to continue downstairs with the hooks towards the body. The right timing was going to bring the right uppercut straight through the middle. It landed like a peach. It landed on my chin. It was done.

“Dillian Whyte is a warrior. Dillian Will be a champion in this sport and I think he will win the world, but Dillian must face me tonight .”


Whyte came out as a southpaw to begin the fight. Perhaps to try and throw Fury off his feet, but it also gave him the opportunity to attack the body with long jabs.

Whyte eventually went back to orthodox but that didn’t really help his cause all that much because Fury was just too quick defensively to get caught with his haymakers. While Whyte was constantly looking for one punch to do damage, Fury was peppering him with short hooks and the same long jab that’s paid dividends his entire career.

As time passed, Fury was getting even more active with his punches and Whyte was seemingly frustrated by his inability to really land with power on any of his biggest shots. Even when Whyte did manage a decent body shot, Fury responded and never allowed his opponent to really put together combinations.

Things started to get ugly in the fourth round after a clash of heads opened a cut over White’s eyebrow, which then led to several more chippy exchanges. Even though the fights ended in a draw, the referee failed to stop the fighting and pulled the fighters apart.

Once the waters calmed, Fury just continued to prove he was the better boxer with well-timed punches, chipping away at the No. 1 WBC contender. Whyte was unable to get in and Fury demanded that he pay.

That’s when Fury ripped off Whyte’s right uppercut and laid him on the ground. Whyte attempted to get back to his feet but as he wobbled and fell into the referee’s arms, the fight was immediately called off.

Fury celebrated as his record moved to 32-0-1 for his career while picking up a third straight knockout win after a pair of finishes against Deontay Wilder in their trilogy.

Afterwards, Fury invited UFC heavyweight champion Francis Ngannou into the ring where they teased a potential matchup between them down the road but it’s not likely that will happen under standard boxing rules because the reigning heavyweight champion appears ready to hang up those gloves for good.

“I was offered the chance to fight at Wembley in my home country and I owed that to the fans,” Fury stated. I owed every British citizen the right to fight at Wembley. It’s over.

” I have to live up to my promise. This is what I believe. This might be the final curtain for ‘The Gypsy King.'”