Coach of former British middleweight champion Callum Smith and Russian former light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev James “Buddy” McGirt gave
interview for a British news blog.
In a conversation with a journalist, McGirt commented on the rematch scheduled for August 20 in Jeddah (Saudi Arabia) between the unified heavyweight champion Ukrainian Oleksandr Usyk (19-0, 13 KOs) and the former holder of 3 titles Briton Anthony Joshua (24-2, 22 KOs).
Don’t miss anything: Usyk-Joshua Fight Week 2: all the news about the megafight on August 20
– The main fight of the boxing evening in Jeddah – Usyk – Joshua 2. How will it go?
– An interesting fight. I watched the first fight from the locker room because of the covid. This time, I’ll sit back and really analyze. It will be a very interesting fight.
– What do you expect to see? People are talking about a different version of Joshua, a more aggressive version.
– I expect to see the 13th round [смеётся]. As the first fight ended, so let it continue, but just see if Joshua can improve.
- Oleksandr Usyk is already in Saudi Arabia: photo and video
– You said “13th round”, this is an interesting point of view. I’ve heard some people cite the first fight between Wilder and Fury as an example. Fury was knocked down and then got up and boxed really well until the end of the fight and used that as an example for the second fight. Does Usyk use what he did in the 12th round with Joshua as an example to continue their fight?
You can’t fix what isn’t broken. Need to add a little. I think it will be an interesting fight. This fight will be better than their first fight.
What do you think of Joshua’s new coach Robert Garcia?
“I think it’s a good move for him. Robert Garcia is a very good coach. Joshua might look different with him. Garcia came from a good boxing family. I think it’s a good move for Anthony Joshua.
In your experience, what will Robert get out of Joshua?
— Pitbull. Pull the pit bull out of him because he’s good at it. Do you understand what I’m talking about. And send him to war. Therefore, it will be interesting.
- What does Anthony Joshua look like before the rematch with Usyk: frame of the day