Famous American boxing trainer Robert Garcia gave
interview for a local news portal.
The specialist commented on the upcoming fight between the popular American lightweight fighters (up to 61.2 kg) Gervonta Davis (28-0, 26 KOs) and Ryan Garcia (23-0, 19 KOs). Garcia believes that the chances of winning are equal. The coach admitted that with the usual approach to the fight, Davis may have problems due to the manual speed and strength of the opponent. Robert also believes that the fight will end ahead of schedule anyway.
– Regarding the fight Garcia – Davis. They are almost equal fighters. In my personal opinion, Ryan has the advantage in height and arm span. Davis owns IQ in the ring. As Fernando Vargas Jr. said yesterday when we talked to him – he plays with you, boxes with you, then relaxes, you become comfortable, and then – boom. I believe that’s what people don’t appreciate about him. He’s not just a puncher, he takes you apart in a fight. It’s basically a 50-50 fight. What’s your breakdown of a potential fight we could get this year?
“It’s really a 50-50 fight. You really can’t pick a winner because anything can happen in this fight. But I think, by the way Tank fights… Everyone looks at the last fight, the last performance. I’m pretty sure it won’t happen, but if I see Tank walk into the ring with Ryan with the same attitude, the same mentality, the same distractions… If he takes the first few rounds lightly, gives them up, he in trouble. Against Ryan, he will be in trouble. He can’t do that against Ryan. I believe that Ryan is so fast, so strong that he will be in trouble.
As I said, everyone is judged by the last performance. If he fights and gives rounds to Garcia like he did, then I think he’s in trouble. I believe Ryan will catch it, especially being left handed. With his jab and left straight he will reach him because Ryan is taller. And that Ryan check-hook, he’s so fucking fast, people can’t even see him. It’s just my choice. But Tank is also very smart, technical in the ring, he is calm, he waits when it can be quite the opposite. It may also be different. One hit and Tank ends the fight. We all saw Ryan was already falling. And this is another thing that will be in question. How many hits can Ryan take from Tank?
- Davis reacted to Garcia’s promoter’s ultimatum: “It’s all weird…”
– Do you think that the fight could potentially end in a knockout? You mentioned Ryan’s check hook, which is very fast and the fighters don’t even see him. Can the fight end in a knockout?
– I believe that the fight will end in a knockout in any case. Ryan can knock out Tank and vice versa. I think this is how the fight will end. It will be a very good fight. I honestly just hope it happens because there are always injuries, something happens in training camp… I hope it happens because it’s going to be a really good fight.
– The fact that Ryan refused the intermediate fight, who has the advantage from this? Tank is less rusty now, he is active, but Ryan is healthier, without injuries, because you know that in training camps a fighter is always with a lot of injuries. Do you think this might be the issue? To fight or not to fight, what do you think about it?
“I hope we don’t see Ryan rusty due to his lack of activity. This is the only question. The tank came out clean. I’m sure he didn’t get any injuries in the fight. He did not miss the heavy blows that would have shocked him. So he’s fresh. Let’s hope his hands aren’t hurt either. Since Tank has dropped the rust, I should probably pick him as my favorite, but just as soon as the gong hits, Ryan becomes a crazy guy.
Meanwhile, Ryan Garcia fears that the fight with Davis will fall through due to his problems with the law.