The former absolute champion, and now the unified champion of the super lightweight division (up to 63.5 kg), Briton Josh Taylor (19-0, 13 KOs) gave
interview for local media.
In a conversation, Taylor spoke about the upcoming fight against the de facto former undisputed lightweight champion (up to 61.2 kg) American Teofimo Lopez (18-1, 13 KOs), expressed his opinion about the fight of the undisputed champion of 61.2 kg from the United States Devin Haney ( 29-0, 15 KOs) against the former unified champion from Ukraine Vasily Lomachenko (17-2, 11 KOs), and also gave a prediction for the Davis-Garcia fight.
– It looks like Teofimo Lopez will be your next opponent. First of all, with your injury and everything, do you have any idea when it might take place?
– I’m not sure. I only heard about this last week. There were rumors on social media, but I didn’t hear anything concrete until I received an official letter last week. We’re still in the early stages, to be honest. Nothing signed, nothing in terms of dates. This will all need to be sorted out. But I’m excited because it’s a big fight. In my opinion, he is a better fighter than Jack Catterall, he has achieved more, and this fight is much bigger.
“You’re also not great friends with Teofimo, to be honest. You’ve been exchanging pleasantries through the media for years. It will probably be a relief for you to reach him with your fists.
— [смеётся] Yes. I think the promotion will be sharp. That’s for sure. He and his father… My father will be funny. Watching our fathers can be brighter than our fight with Teofimo [смеётся]. No, it will be a good fight. Someone will definitely fly into a knockout. And I believe it will be him. And I think it will happen quite early.
“I would pay any money.” Arum on Haney-Lomachenko and Taylor-Lopez fights
– We are waiting for the announcement of the fight Vasily Lomachenko vs. Devin Haney for all titles. Two great fighters and one of them is Devin Haney – a potential opponent for you in the future. How do you see their fight going?
– I don’t know. I think Lomachenko is on the decline a bit. In a few of his last fights, I saw some signs of age. He got a little slower. Maybe it’s just because he didn’t have the opponent’s fear factor of the right caliber. I still see Lomachenko as the favorite. Devin Haney has also improved a lot in recent fights. It’s definitely a delicious fight. I can’t name a winner. I like Lomachenko. I choose Lomachenko, but my head says Devin Haney.
It’s no secret that Haney is very big for his category. He is still young, his body is growing. This is your potential opponent for the future. I’m sure if he gets up to 63.5kg you’ll still be here.
– Undoubtedly. This is another huge fight for me. So bright times ahead.
Davis vs Garcia, who wins this fight Josh?
– Oh, it’s a good fight. I’ll be really interested to see it. It’s been talked about for a long time, years. I think Tank has better boxing skills, a little better boxing IQ, boxing intelligence and of course he has power for his weight, he can punch. Garcia has speed and quickness. It cancels out the power. But I just think that the boxing mind and IQ leans towards Gervonta Davis. I’m leaning a little more towards him.