British promoter Frank Warren (Queensberry Promotions), leading the career of the WBC world heavyweight champion (over 101.6 kg) from Britain Tyson Fury (33-0-1, 24 KOs), in
interview for a local news portal, he commented on the organization of the fight for the title of absolute world champion against the holder of three titles from Ukraine Oleksandr Usyk (20-0, 13 KOs).
The functionary, without disclosing details, spoke in general about the situation with the organization of the fight, spoke about the change in the date of the planned fight and hinted at other big fights of Fury in the near future.
– We got a chance to talk to you and can’t help but ask about the big fight that everyone is waiting for. This is a fight for the title of absolute champion between Tyson Fury and Oleksandr Usyk. We spoke right after the New Year and you said that the fight should be organized quickly because you are aiming for the beginning of March. It’s been a couple of weeks and we still haven’t seen an official announcement. What is the delay?
Well, I can’t go into too much detail, but both sides are ready to fight, they want a fight, everyone is in favor, and I sincerely believe that it will take place. I don’t think we’re far from an announcement. Basically, there are a few things going on behind the scenes that we’re trying to work out. I won’t go into details because I don’t want to reveal the situation, but the news is pretty close.
Will there be a fight in the first week of March?
– No, this is no longer relevant. We’ve already run out of time for this option. It is what it is.
Are you considering April?
– Yes. I mean, we need to do this as soon as possible, for obvious reasons.
– What do you think about the correspondence in social networks? Usyk in swimming trunks calls Fury a “bunch” and the like. What do you think of it?
— [улыбается] It’s all good and funny. They are both in this thread, but to date, no one has done a job with a fighter with a big belly. Tyson has long made such a comment when he was still fighting against compatriot Usyk Klitschko: “Remember, when I beat you, it will be the guy whose condition you laughed at.” So no one has yet found the key to beating him. I sincerely believe that he will beat Usyk, but we must complete the deal, finalize it. I think it will be a really great fight for the fans with all the titles on the line.
– What does it mean to you, as a promoter, because you have been in this business for a long time, to organize a fight for the title of absolute heavyweight champion in Britain, with the participation of the British champion?
“If we do this in Britain, it will be amazing. But wherever he goes, four belts on the line is something. And I’m just looking at where Tyson was a few years ago and where he is now. I think it’s phenomenal what he did. And again, he has faith in himself, he never doubted himself, and I will also be very happy for him, because this is a story, this is a great story, where and what he went through.
“But also for you, Frank, in the era of four belts, there was never a fight for the title of undisputed heavyweight champion.
– Of course, I’m happy to organize a fight. You know, we work together with Top Rank. I think we will organize it. I always work for Tyson, and that’s where we came from. As I said, in my opinion, he is the best heavyweight of this generation. I think he would be a great heavyweight in any generation. Because of the physical attributes he has. We really want this fight. Everyone wants it to happen. If Tyson gets past that, then there are some other great fights that will be organized soon.
Where do you think the fight is likely to take place?
At the moment, I can’t even tell you. The worst option… Not the worst. I mean, the best in some ways, but financially the worst option is to fight in Britain at Wembley. But this is a fallback. We are currently considering many other options. We will make our decision pretty soon.