Legendary American promoter Bob Arum (Top Rank Promotions) gave
interview for a news portal from Britain.
In a conversation, the journalist asked the functionary about the latest news on the upcoming fight in lightweight (up to 61.2 kg) between the absolute champion from the United States Devin Haney (29-0, 15 KOs) and the former owner of three titles Ukrainian Vasily Lomachenko (16-2, 11 KO). Arum also spoke about the start of negotiations for a fight between two former undisputed champions – British Josh Taylor (19-0, 13 KOs) and American Teofimo Lopez (18-1, 13 KOs).
– A lot of people are sure that Shakur Stevenson is probably the best between 59 kg and 63.5 kg. With that in mind as you look to the future, do you want to bring Shakur and Lomachenko together right away? He has the ability to beat both Lomachenko and Haney, but is that your plan?
– Yes, the plan for him is to fight the winner of the Haney-Lomachenko fight. If Haney wins, then he talks about moving to 63.5 kg. So that will vacate the titles for Shakur. But if Loma wins, then Loma vs Shakur is a fight that I would pay any money to watch. This is truly an incredible fight. Two excellent students and artists in a sport called boxing.
– Regarding the fight Haney – Lomachenko, what is the latest news, how are things going with this fight?
– Date – May 20. The only question is where we will spend it. We will resolve this by the end of the week and hopefully we will have an announcement next week. But the duel is in force, it will take place, and the only question is the venue.
“Lomachenko looked terrible.” Stevenson shared his prediction for the fight between Vasily and Haney
“I’m very interested to know how things are going with Haney’s contract. He had two fights with Kambosos, working with you, now he will fight with Lomachenko. Do you have a further agreement with him after the Lomachenko fight?
“I’m not sure what his contract says and I can’t really talk about it. But win or lose, Haney is a great fighter and we can continue to give him maximum coverage on the ESPN platform.
– We saw how the WBO officially sanctioned the fight between Josh Taylor and Teofimo Lopez. Do you expect this to lead to a real duel?
– Well, it’s the WBO. Teofimo Lopez was a dedicated fighter for the WBO. He was a lightweight champion, he always respected the WBO. He is the number one contender. So it’s okay for the WBO to make him a mandatory challenger. And it’s a huge fight. I talked to Teofimo and we talked to Josh. Both want this fight. I am very happy that this fight will take place. I really think it’s a candidate for fight of the year.
How is the organization doing? According to reports, it seems that he is very close to agreement?
— Yes, he is very close to agreement. The venue is still up in the air. I think there is a possibility that it will take place in New York or Las Vegas, or even in Britain. We have to decide this. But we’re promoting both fighters and we know what they’re thinking and we’re able to put it in the place that makes the most sense.
Devin Haney to Teofimo Lopez: “I can come up to you and fuck you”