Eddie Alvarez was happy with his decision to sign with ONE Championship, but as his contract — and career — winds down, the former UFC lightweight champion made the decision to try and produce an amicable exit from the promotion.
Alvarez revealed recently that he and ONE Championship were able do exactly that. However, he was not specific about the reason behind it up until now. He also stated on Wednesday’s The MMA Hour , that he would like to end his career back in his country.
“The contract was coming to an end, and I spoke with my agent and I told him, ‘I would like my career to finish up in the United States.’ And when we originally sat down with ONE, the idea was that [they] would progressively move to the U.S.,” Alvarez said on The MMA Hour. The plan was for fights in Asia. I then had an idea that we would eventually move to the U.S. towards the end.
“Unfortunately, the pandemic threw a wrench into all of those plans and slowed the progression of that up by a lot.
” I’m more likely to sign my final contract and I want to fight here in the United States,” Alvarez said. “I really want and need to fight in the United States to finish my career here.”
Alvarez went 1-2, with a no contest over his four-fight run with ONE.
“The Underground King” left the UFC following a second-round TKO loss to Dustin Poirier at UFC on FOX 30 in July 2018.
Prior to that, Alvarez had a very public dispute with former Bellator head Bjorn Rebney. Alvarez claims that he has never had a bad relationship with ONE.
“One-hundred percent [we’re on good terms],” Alvarez explained. I have only experienced one bad breakup with one company and that was made public. Everyone knew. It was something I will never do again. I never did ever since then, and I don’t think I ever will. I am an adult. I know the sport, I know the business. I try to add value to whatever promotion I go to. People I have signed with know this. Besides the one promotion, I never really had a reason to butt heads with anybody.”
As for Alvarez’s future, he said he had meetings with “all the big names” regarding promotions that would begin in October.
One organization that seems to be the favorite amongst the MMA community would be Alvarez signing with the PFL, which is something the 38-year-old would be open to, most notably because he favors the season structure.
While it would give Alvarez a new look on his resume in terms of career, he would still be happy to go back to UFC or Bellator, two of the U.S. organizations he helped to boost.
“Yes [I would return to the UFC],” Alvarez said. “Yeah [I would go back to Bellator]. Bjorn Rebney was the one who caused my messy divorce, not Scott Coker. I was freed by Scott Coker.
” My issue wasn’t with Bellator, the name. I got into a dispute with the President and that President was fired.
“But as long as there’s big fights and big names involved in that company, I’ll more than likely say yes and keep my options open.”