Renowned American Mentor Andre Rozier gave
interview for local media.
The coach spoke about the transition of the second middleweight prospect (up to 76.2 kg) of American Edgar Berlanga (20-0, 16 KOs) under the wing of Matchroom Eddie Hearn, spoke about the preparation for the fight Commey – Ramirez, named the best in super lightweight (up to 63, 5 kg), commented on the upcoming fight Josh Taylor – Teofimo Lopez and praised the “super champion” WBA light heavyweight division (up to 79.5 kg) from the Russian Federation Dmitry Bivol (21-0, 11 KOs).
– You should tell us about your former fighter Edgar Berlang. He parted ways with Top Rank. He has now officially signed with Matchroom. What do you think about it?
– I think it’s fantastic. He found a new home. Now he is preparing for his first fight with Matchroom. I would like to see him focused and prepared to go out and do what he really can.
– There are many 76.2 kg fighters in the PBC. Did he do the right thing by signing a contract not with PBC, but with Matchroom?
— I think that such a strategic move is better. PBC has a lot of competition. Many were champions there. These are heavy waters. You can’t practice there and hone your skills. There are sharks on the left and on the right. It’s very difficult there.
“I was talking to Eddie Hearn and he said Berlanga would be ready to fight Canelo in a year. Edgar himself said that in the end he wants to fight Canelo. Do you think he will be ready for Canelo by next year?
“I still think he needs more experience. He’s had a long downtime, he needs to get rid of the rust, sharpen his tools and be ready. So I don’t think he will do it in a year. It will be under development. He needs the job to be right because he’s still young.
“I’m the best option for Canelo.” Berlanga told how he will get to Alvarez or Munguia
When can Edgar be ready for the elite guys like Andred, Canelo, Benavidez?
– Well, according to my estimates, working with Berlanga, if he is focused and really concentrated on boxing, I would say one and a half to two years.
You are coaching Richard Commey, who is preparing to fight Jose Ramirez on March 25th. How is the training camp going?
– Pretty good. Richie works his ass. He knows he needs to really work hard because Ramirez is coming. It’s heading straight for you and Richie needs to be prepared for that.
– Who do you think is the best fighter at 63.5 kg now?
Now I’ll call Taylor. Nobody made him pay. Now it’s Taylor, then Prograis, the third and the others need to be considered. But right now, it’s almost like deja vu. Taylor and Prograis. Ramirez is also in the cage, but he lost ground.
– If there is a duel between Taylor and Teofimo Lopez, what is your prediction? Who do you think will win and how exactly will the fight go?
“If they fight now, if this is their next fight, I have to pick Josh Taylor. I’m still not happy with what Lopez is doing in the 63.5kg ring. He didn’t make these adjustments. We need to make sure that it will be in the future. He needs to make these adjustments to get it right.
You were one of the few who said that Bivol would beat Canelo.
– Thank you.
“Bivol will be emaciated and weak.” Dmitri is dissuaded from a rematch with Alvarez in 76.2 kg
Canelo wants a rematch. They are reported to be able to fight at 76.2 kg instead of 79.4 kg. Do you give advantage to Canelo in this case or not so much?
“I don’t give Canelo an advantage even if they were fighting at 69.9kg. Bivol is just too technical in the ring. There is no way Canelo can beat him.
– Many believe that his fight was one-sided. Do you think that the second time will be an even more one-sided duel?
– Yes, I think so, because Bivol is now after a very big victory over Ramirez. José said that he would beat him, but he did not cope with the task. I mean, he was taken to school. Bivol is a fantastic fighter. And he’s not old. He is young. And his instrumentation… He doesn’t play around with used instruments. His tools are from Sears and Roebuck, enough to last a lifetime. This guy is cool and he presents boxing in an incredible way. [смеётся].